Friday 2 November 2007

Filial Obligation

What is a filial obligation? To keep remembering fondly really. Filial derives from filius/filia meaning son/daughter. My father’s father (my Grandad) he was an old man and we used to live with him for a while. He became ill. One thing I really did miss. He always made a big fuss of me. Played with me. When he went into hospital what really got to me was when he did die. Granny didn’t want children around at all. I was farmed off to a friend when all that was going on. It wasn’t unexpected. Natural wastage type of things. Never the right time. End of the era. Fond to remember the good times.
Legacy for me is cricket and G and S. He was like Aunty Ethel. He just liked being with children that played. Parents are sometimes under pressure so Grandfathers can look after children without worrying about it. We were on a terraced house on Monks Road, Lincoln. Mind you we were next door to Granddad’s brother Uncle Harry. The Pinchbeck brothers included Francis, my Granddad, and Harry who lived next to each other. Francis had three sons Charles, Edward, Harry and Uncle Harry had two children, Elsie and Frank. They had a housekeeper Ethel who survived them all. She went into a home.

No comments: