Saturday 24 November 2007

The Christening



Sit with me for a moment and remember

The artist shows the first film of himself in existence - an 8mm amateur movie of his Christening shot by his late Uncle Fred. He is on film but he cannot recall being filmed. He is there but he is not there. The performance is an act of repair, an invitation to remember the event and to help him to fill in the gaps left behind. Created for the Biennale of Young Artists from Europe and the Mediterranean, the project is supported by Dance4, Nottingham Trent University and Trampoline.

Michael Pinchbeck is a writer, live artist and performance maker based in Nottingham, UK. His work is an exit strategy from the everyday. He operates autobiographically by using self and site-as-source to illustrate loss and explore absence. He aims to challenge the boundaries of text, performance and installation. He is interested in moments when work ceases to mean and how we reconfigure the meaning at these moments.

2 comments:

Nicholas Wright said...

Hi michael i am interested in the project you are running for trampoline having gone to the blog I am strugling to undrstand how pictures someone else took of you at your christening can be art you dreated I am not being nieve. I simply would like a clearer explanation. As i find the writing on the blog a unclear.

www.nickprefix.blogspot.com

Nicholas Wright said...

Hi michael i am interested in the project you are running for trampoline having gone to the blog I am struggling to understand how pictures. Someone else took of
You at your christening can be art. I am not being nieve. I simply would like a clearer explanation. As i find the writing on the blog a unclear. I am also aware having just checked my blog that i was being unclear with my bad typos!!1 ha ha sorry.